Supplied Electronic Art
Artwork should be created in Adobe Illustrator® (preferred file format), Postscript, 1-Bit TIFF, .LEN Esko, Adobe InDesign, Macromedia Freehand, ArtPro, or Hi-Res PDF. Files originating in the above applications may be saved in .eps format by customer before providing to Buckeye Packaging to ensure cross platform compatibility. PDF files have the capability to be used as a simple proof or as high-resolution art files. When utilizing a pdf for submitted artwork, the file must be saved in a high-resolution format.
Art files can be email as attachments if they are below 7MB in size. Use Zip to compress multiple or large files before emailing them. All art files should be supplied in native format. Placed or linked images should be provided as separate, high-resolution files. Adobe Photoshop compatible file is recommended for placed images. Please include layered whenever possible.
All line work and copy is to be in the native art file of Adobe Illustrator or Freehand, again not linked as an EPS. Proofs must be supplied with electronic art and have correct spelling of copy, UPC code and PMS/Match colors listed on the proof. Build files in a template or Die. Build items with common art to ONE master template.
Please provide fonts for all live text and/or convert fonts to paths (vectors or outlines).
Convert all RGB colors to CMYK. All black text should be black only (not a CMYK build of black). Please specify all Pantone® colors within the artwork file.
Artwork should be built using as many layers as possible, with a minimum of four layers per document: It is imperative to label your layers in as clear and concise a fashion as possible.
· Die & Numbers Layer: Containing a dimensioned die or template.
· Title Block Layer: Containing the studio title block with color targets and printing inks clearly illustrated.
· Technical Details Layer: Showing technical details and/or printing instructions such as color call outs, FPO labels, and other instructions.
· Graphics Layers: These layers contain all graphics to be separated. Note: Additional graphic layers may be added as needed. Example: FPO images, Vignettes, Violators, etc
· .004 BWR
· UPC no less than 90% magnification 100% preferred.
· UPC code must print in machine direction (bars parallel to curve of plate) for guarantee of scanability.
· UPC in transverse machine direction must be bordered with a 1/16” rule. Truncation is acceptable
· 8 Colors maximum including White
· Eliminate all duplicate colors
· List all PMS colors, including Process Colors.
· Type: San Serif
· Positive type size: 6 point, Upper and Lower case.
· Reverse type size: 8 point bold, Upper and Lower case.
· Type: Serif fonts, avoid if possible.
· Minimum size: Positive: 8 point, all upper case.
· Reverse: 10 point, all upper case. Additional modifications to type size and style may be necessary. Minimum size for reversed out symbols such as ®, etc. is 7 point bold, with a stroke of 13/1000.
· Trapping: 1/32nd minimum white cutback .03”
· Positive: .010 minimum
· Reverse: .020 minimum
· Line Weight with colors trapping to it: .020 minimum Vignettes that do not trap need to have a .003 holding line to prevent a saw tooth edge along all edges. Stochastic screening should be used if a holding line can not work.
· Areas that have the screen drop off are to have a .003 rule to eliminate the saw tooth edges.
· Screens: 65 to 120 line or use Stochastic as an alternative.
· Gradation: 20-98%. Note that a full gradation of 20% to 98% in a small area will cause banding when printed.
Density bars are to include 3%, 30%, 50%, 70% and 100%. Each spot is to be 3/16” x 3/16” in size.