Supplied Electronic Art
Artwork should be created in Macintosh Adobe Illustrator ®
v 10.0 or later, or Macromedia Freehand ® v 10.0 or later, and should be burned to a CD or placed on FTP-site. Art files can be email as attachments if they are below 4MB in size. Use Stuffit or Zip to compress multiple or large files before emailing them. All art files should be supplied in native format. Placed images such as CT's and vignettes should be supplied as PSD, EPS, or Tiff files.
Note: Quark Xpress ® and Pagemaker ® should not be used to create or assemble packaging artwork.
Include all placed link files. Image files need to be of a high resolution 300 dpi and 100% or larger in size. If this is not possible, the transparency will be required. All line work and copy is to be in the native art file of Adobe Illustrator or Freehand, again not linked as an EPS. Proofs must be supplied with electronic art and have correct spelling of copy, UPC code and PMS/Match colors listed on the proof. Build files in a template or Die.
Build items with common art to ONE master template.
If any custom type or art effects are done in other applications (i.e. Typestyle, Photoshop, etc.) convert type to outlines or include fonts with the original art, and clearly mark them. Use only "Outline" fonts, NEVER use Apple System or Bitmap Fonts. All fonts used in the document should be included with your art on disk.
Artwork should be built using as many layers as possible, with a minimum of four layers per document: It is imperative to label your layers in as clear and concise a fashion as possible.
- Die & Numbers Layer: Containing a dimensioned Die or template.
- Title Block Layer: Containing the studio title block with color targets and printing inks clearly illustrated.
- Technical Details Layer: Showing technical details and/or printing instructions such as color call outs, FPO labels, and other instructions.
- Graphics Layers: These layers contain all graphics to be separated. Note: Additional graphic layers may be added as needed. EXAMPLE: FPO images, Vignettes, Violators, etc
- .004 BWR
- UPC no less than 90% magnification 100% preferred.
- UPC code must print in machine direction (bars parallel to curve of plate) for guarantee of scanability.
- UPC in transverse machine direction must be bordered with a 1/16” rule. Truncation is acceptable
8 Colors maximum including White
Eliminate all duplicate colors
List all PMS colors, including Process Colors.
Type: San Serif
Positive type size: 6 point, Upper and Lower case.
Reverse type size: 8 point bold, Upper and Lower case.
Type: Serif fonts, avoid if possible.
Minimum size: Positive: 8 point, all upper case.
Reverse: 10 point, all upper case. Additional modifications to type size and style may be necessary. Minimum size for reversed out symbols such as ®, etc. is 7 point bold, with a stroke of 13/1000.
Trapping: 1/32nd minimum preferred
Positive: .010 minimum
Reverse: .020 minimum
Line Weight with a colors trapping to it: .020 minimum Vignettes that do not trap need to have a .003 holding line to prevent a saw tooth edge along all edges. Stochastic screening should be used if a holding line can not work.
Areas that have the screen drop off are to have a .003 rule to eliminate the saw tooth edges.
Screens: 65 to 120 line or use Stochastic as an alternative.
Gradation: 20-98%. Note that a full gradation of 20% to 98% in a small area will cause banding when printed.
Density bars are to include 3%, 30%, 50%, 70% and 100%. Each spot is to be 3/16” x 3/16” in size.